Daorae, Korean BBQ @ Tanjung Tokong, Penang

I'm not a fan of the Korean wave and it took me ages to finish a Korean drama, even though I like some of them.

However,I like the rich flavour of Korean food as it is spicy and appetising when it comes to  kimchi and gochujang in their cooking. I'll always be amazed by the taste no matter how many times I've tasted Korean dishes from different restaurant.

Anyway, I went to Daorae with my buddies as they suggested that they serve the best Korean barbecue and I should give it a try. Since there are 6 of us, we managed to sample a number of dishes.



The big sign in front of the restaurant.
Daorae is actually located next to Xuan Xin
 steamboat restaurant of Tanjung Tokong.
You'll find the place easily, I believe
as the restaurant is located by the road.



The huge sign by the road that you can see.



The restaurant is uniquely decorated with
 Korean themed decorations.
Too bad I didn't take the photos.
Btw, this is a part of the dining area which
is on the upstairs of the restaurant.
There are cooker hoods on each table.



The cutleries, cup and bowl on the table. 



Ta-da! The side dishes (or known as banchan) of the day.
There are 8 of them (stir-fried bean sprouts,
 kimchi, black beans,steamed eggs, fish cake, 
stir fried vegetables and macaroni with mayo)

The waiters will refill your banchan from time to time.
Still, we requested for at
least 5 refills of kimchi that day!


Dolsot-bibim-bab @ RM20

This is my luv of all time. I will smile like an idiot 
when I am eatinga bibimbaq (my friend told me
when I was eating one on a tiring
 day in Singapore years ago)

The steaming rice is served with different types
of vegetables (mushroom, bean sprouts, 
shredded carrot, seaweed),
as well as fried egg and 2 crab sticks.

Once you've mixed everything well with the 
Korean chili paste, you can nom it to fill your
grumbling tummy. 



My friend did the mixing.
I am too slow when it comes to this 
kind of stuff. (Too bad the waiter wouldn't
be able to mix for us )

I like the rice crumps sticking on the base of the 
hot stone bowl. Crunchy and delicious.

In my opnion, this is one of the tastiest bibimbaq
I've tried so far. It is a must try. 



 Kimchi-Jeon-Gol (Kimchi Steamboat) @ RM 55

We ordered the small one which is for 3 person.
For the large serving, it costs RM 70.

A Korean meal without kimchi stew or hotpot is incomplete.
I really love the taste of this dish, soup and spicy
are a good combination to tantalised
my taste buds. 

You can find kimchi, pork, tofu and korean rice cake
in this rich kimchi soup potpourri.
 A pack of ramen is added as well.



My serving of kimchi ramen soup!
Simply irresistible and I just can't get enough of it!
Nyan! -huggles my bowl-

White rice goes well with the soup as well.
This is another recommended dish from me!



Pa-Jeon (Seafood Korean Pancake with Spring Onions) @ RM25

The pancake is fine with fresh seafood as ingredients.
However, I do not fancy the pancake's texture as it is not
crispy enough. Taste kinda 'soft and soggy'
in my mouth though. 



Now, the main dish. Dining at a Korean restaurant is incomplete without the barbecue. we ordered 2 dishes as the menu required that we have to order 2 dishes per charcoal, probably means that 2 dishes were required per order of poultry or meat.

So, we ordered Pork Special, which is soft and  tender selected cuts of pork (for RM 35) and Yang-nyum Dak-gal-bi (Chicken fillets marinated in special soy saucefor RM 28)




The Korean chilli paste,seasoned sesame oil sauce and garlic
which you can use to wrap the barbecued meat with 
fresh green lettuce.



Seasoned or preserved spring onion (I guess).
(Is it to be eaten or wrap together in the lettuce?)



The pork is grilled at our table by the waiter,
cooked by using charcoal rather than a gas stove. 
 This helps bring out the aroma of the meat.



Barbecued pork, ready to be nomed!
Soft and tender. It is not bad...decent.
Not the yummiest barbecued that I've tasted so far.



Our chicken fillet.
A lil burnt, but I prefer this compared to the pork.
It tastes good as well after being marinated. 



Before we left, the manager gave each one of us a lollipop!
We were taken by surprised actually.
It tastes really good.
I like it!
(Gosh...an overgrown kid, am I)


Another unique Korean restaurant in Penang and I love their bibimbaq, as well as the Kimchi Steamboat.
I will dine in this place once again to sample more of their dishes. 

The service is good, but kinda slow due to the limited numbers of waiters who are always busy.


Food: 8/10 ( My new found love, the bibimbaq and kimchi steamboat!)

Ambiance: 8/10 ( clean, neat with unique Korean decorations)


More info:

Business hour: 11:30a.m. - 3:00p.m. ( Lunch )
                         5:30 p.m. - 11:00 p.m. ( Dinner )

Telephone number: +604 - 891 3616

Comments

  1. Hi, unfortunately, I don't think that Daorae serves halal food. :( Hopefully, there are some Korean restaurant around the island that do so.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment