Hooi Wang Restaurant @ Bukit Mertajam, Penang

Heading to a local Chinese restaurant meal is a great choice because you can have an affordable hearty meal  without costing you a fortune. You can choose from a selection of home cooked dishes which suite our taste buds well.

I went to Hooi Wang Restaurant earlier this month for dinner with my family. We had a great dinner and ordered a few dishes to go with the rice.




Steamed peanuts will be served before the meal.




Garlic, chili, pepper and soy sauce to add some flavour in your meal.



Warm chrysanthemum tea @ RM1.30

Herbal tea or chrysanthemum tea is a must for me and my friends 
when we frequent any local Chinese restaurant for a meal.

Also, white rice @ RM 1.20 per plate



Mantis shrimp with dried chili @ RM12.00

I like the flavour of this dish.
With a hint of spiciness from the dried chili and pepper.
The taste complimented well and I am satisfied with the serving of the dish.
This dish has a large serving of shrimps, with tender sweet flesh.
Unlike what I have ordered at some other places. 
The gravy tastes well with the plain rice I was having.




Stir fried vegetables @ RM 10.00

A combination of mushrooms, cauliflower, broccoli , peas and carrots
 stir fried with corn flour starchy base.
It tastes normal, however the serving can be a lil too small in my opinion.




Stir fried sambal asparagus @ RM 10.00

This is spicy yet delicious.
A fan of hot spicy dishes would love this.
The smell of sambal might be strong for some, but I found it appetising.
Yum!




Deep fried caramel sweet potato and yam @ RM10.00

This is my fav! 
Crispy and sweet on the outside, but
soft and tender on the inside, especially the yam 
(the sweet potatoes didn't taste as good as the yam).
The caramel acted like a thin crystal coat outside the batter.
Not too sweet, they smell really good.
I simply like the combination and it is best eaten hot.
The sesame seeds added more fragrance to the dish. 




A close view of my fav.
Double thumbs up! Or triple it! XP



The meal costs RM49.40 for 3. Full yet satisfied. Plus, without government tax and service charge.

The restaurant is located at the same row of RHB bank of Sri Rambai (or it should be Desa Damai?). You can see the shop from the main road and some car repair shops nearby. =3


Food: 8/10 (simple home cooked dishes to fill satisfy your hunger..i will give 10/10 for my deep fried yam!)

Ambiance: 6/10 ( just a normal clean local restaurant for meals)

Address:
辉煌海鲜饭店
Hooi Wang Restaurant
1257 - 1258, Jalan Padang Lallang,
Taman Desa Damai,
14000 Bukit Mertajam.

Tel : 04-5305814

Comments

  1. This restaurant is not a recommended place at all. The food is nothing to shout about. We had bad experience dine in. Poor service & ignorant lady boss, the kitchen is dirty, and the food is poorly prepared. We ordered steamboat and there’s cockroaches on the table crawling and went on top of our food, when we told the cashier who is the lady boss but she gave us a black face and just took away the food! She just put in kitchen simply use water drained on top than give it back to us like its normal thing. No apology and the attitude like thinks they’re the best and don’t wish to do business at all! We ended up didn’t eat that food. First of all they are registered gst company, we don’t know about but due to they simply charged us the food and without give us the receipt so we request for receipt and she told us that we need to pay additional 6% gst if we want the receipt. Unethical business owner & food are dirtyly prepared & expensive. Never visit again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Yufie. Thanks for dropping by my blog.
      It is unfortunate that you had an unpleasant dining experience there and I am very sorry to hear that. I was shocked to read about what you have written.
      I went there for dinner in 2012 and that was the only time I have been there. So, I have no idea about their food and services lately.
      It is good that you point out their flaws as it can be a reference to other diners. After reading about your experience, I would not recommend this place to the others if someone were to ask me about the place.
      Thanks for the info, Yufie.

      Delete

Post a Comment