China House @ Penang

I need to give my bestie a big big hug as we managed to locate this place, China House after searching around the Heritage Zone of George Town.

Well, we’ve been planning to visit KopiCine of Straits Collection for some time now and it seems that the place had moved to a new location. Since there are tons of one way street around the town, we need to make a few turns till we came to its back door, which is the entrance of The Canteen.

Yup…the back door. I spotted the signs boards while my friend drove by.It doesn’t resemble a fancy or interesting structure of a cafĂ© or restaurant.  However, it is indeed the place we were trying to find.

What makes this place unique is that it was a 3 restored shop houses, linked by an open courtyard which stretched from Lebuh Victoria (Victoria Street) to Lebuh Pantai (Beach Street). Back is The Canteen...the front is China House. Unique!



The facade of the back of China House.
It is located on Lebuh Victoria if not mistaken.


Food and Drink
One of the sign board of China House.
Thanks to that...we managed to find it and we were not lost. 



Art and Theatre
Another sign board of China House.

Besides as a cafe, China House also provide a stage...well, a venue for mini theatre performance, as well as room for art exhibitions.



The photo gallery located above the 'back door' we came in.
The chairs and photos are interesting.



I like the classic touch of this part.
It is fill with old memories of this building.


From the back of China House,  there is a mini lounge with a mini stage near the entrance. (We saw a band setting up their instruments before we left). Hmm....Victoria Street is known as the Canteen. With a bar for drinks at night. 

To reach the cafe, you need to walk....yup...walk till the end of the long corridor, pass a garden to reach it.
Along the way, there are interesting outdoors and indoors dining section for you to choose from. Different tables, chairs and ambiance. 



The courtyard garden, with a pond, tree and a classical touch 
of a Peranakan House of the olden days.



Here we are! The cafe for China Town!
The main entrance at Lebuh Pantai (Beach Street).



Clean and beautiful counter.
Really enjoy seeing the liquor and glasses displayed. ^^


I like the setting of the table as they provided a big white sheet of Mahjong paper as the table cloth for you to doodle away. Really neat concept. XD Plus, a glass of crayons are provided with most of the colours needed. It brings me back to my school days somehow.



The crayons. Luv them!




We did this!!!


 Now, back to the food. The not much variety from the menu, however, the good thing is that you can have cakes to satisfy your sweet tooth. XD There were a table full of cakes, muffins and bread to choose from. Plus, a display counter with a selection of cakes. Yum!
Too bad I can't get all those stuff in my stomach at one go.



Cappuccino @ RM10.00

Thick foam with a separated bowl of brown sugar
for you to suite your own taste buds.




Crushed Mint Lime Soda @ RM 10.00

Cool and refreshing.
The taste is not bad...with a tinge of fresh mint.
Plus, not too sweet. Kinda like the unique taste of it.



A bottle of chilled sky juice was provided as well.
I really hope that I can take the bottle home with me. ^^



Ginger Bud Pesto Vegetarian Spaghetti @ RM22.00

I could never imagine that vegetarian spaghetti without meat and tomato sauce can taste that good.
The taste reminds me of Penang Laksa with the same ingredients in it.
Ginger flower, lemon grass, parsley... spaghetti with a Nyonya Baba twist.
Fragrant, delicious and appetising.
I give it 2 thumbs up!



Mango Upside Down @ RM 8.00 

This is sweet. Really...really sweet.
With the moist cake texture and mango on top.
Not really my liking.
But...with the cappuccino that I was drinking.
It neutralised everything.



Our trip to China House was a memorable one and I would like to say a million thank you to my friend for the pre-bday celebration. (You are sweet ans amazing.)

I really like that place, with the contemporary yet classical setting. It is  a great place to hang out.
And...I will definitely go back once again...to explore the interesting food available in the menu.


Ambiance: 9/10 (like I said...it is really great)

Food: 8/10 (interesting new flavour...except for the cake which is too sweet for my liking)

For your information: Straits Collection - China House

Latest blog entry : China House Part II


Comments