Tim Ho Wan 添好運 @ Sham Shui Po, Hong Kong

Having a dim sum breakfast or maybe brunch at Tim Ho Wan is a must when you set foot in Hong Kong since it is a famous place where you can get delicious dim sum for an affordable price in a restaurant which has been awarded with a Michelin star.




It is cleaver to have a huge signboard in 
front of your shop.
I ran towards it happily when I saw it
from afar the other day!


I went there twice during my visit to Hong Kong in February and to avoid the long queue and waiting, you have to be there before 11.00 am on a weekday. Yup, I got a seat easily when I went there on Thursday at 10 a.m. without even queueing!




My visit on a Wednesday morning.
There was a crowd as I reached there after 11:00 am
which was almost lunch time.


You will be issued with a number by a lady in front of the restaurant if the place is full. She will shout out the numbers in either Cantonese or Mandarin. I experienced that on Wednesday. While waiting, you can place your order by ticking the list given. You can order right away after you enter the restaurant. The form which I took while queueing was in Chinese. Perhaps they have the English version and you should try ask for the translation.





The flyer on the table.
You can have an idea what you are ordering
by matching the words from the order list and the
flyer. I did that in Korea.
Slow...but at least I got my food at the end of the day. XD

The English names of the food on the flyer 
will be in handy. Upon request, they have the English
version of order list as well.







Steamed fresh shrimp dumpling @ 26 HKD
(晶瑩鮮蝦餃)

I had this twice and I should have ordered another basket of this.
It is delicious and the skin is intact when you pick it up with
your chopsticks.  Unlike what I had back home.
The skin and the shrimp will fall apart. XD

Plump and juicy. The transparent skin makes it look
so appetising. The best I have had so far. Yum!





Steamed pork dumpling with shrimp @ 26 HKD
(鮮蝦燒賣皇)

Another must try. The dumplings are sweet and delicious.
I can't describe the taste and 
sensation after sending them into my mouth.



Steamed dumpling in chiu chow style @ 13 HKD
(潮州蒸粉果)

I have no regrets ordering this as it is one of my fav now.
The peanuts are crispy in the dumpling since it is served
piping hot. Not to mention that I love
 the flavour and texture of it.
Crispy peanuts, water chestnut, chives and 
pork do make a lovely combination. 
Gonna order this if I were to visit HK again.



Steamed pork dumpling with pig's liver @ 26 HKD
(豬潤燒賣)

Fans of offals will rejoice, but not me.
I ordered this without understanding the mandarin completely.

It tastes fine with the sweet flavour of the pork.
Just not my liking due to the liver.




Baked bun with barbecued pork @ 18 HKD
(酥皮焗叉燒包)
 (behind the bowl of porridge)

Century Egg Porridge @ 16 HKD
(金銀蛋瘦肉粥)

The sweet pastry covered bun has a similar taste with the puolo bao and they are best eaten once they were served. Light and crispy on the outside with sweet barbecued pork on the inside. The skin tastes a lil buttery in my opinion. Also, It tasted find even when it was cold. Not bad... ^^

Now, let's focus on the century egg porridge. They are generous when it comes to the ingredient with a big amount of lean pork, century egg and salted egg. I love the smooth , yet thick texture of the porridge (or congee) and with every spoonful, you can taste the ingredients!

Gosh...it was heavenly.The only congee I had in Hong Kong as there were too many things to try. Yet, I worhsip this congee @ porridge.



 

 Vermicelli rolls stuffed with pig's liver @ 20 HKD
(黃沙豬潤腸)




Vermicelli rolls with bbq pork @ 20 HKD

(蜜味叉燒腸)

The rice rolls or vermicelli rolls are soft and it melts in your mouth instantly.
The sauce will be poured over the vermicelli once they arrived at your table.
I ordered the one's with pig's liver on the first day. 
However, I prefer the taste of bbq pork although 
the first one is the signature dish of the restaurant.





Pan-fried turnip cake @ 15 HKD
(香煎蘿白糕)

Soft and tender on the inside and slightly crispy on the outside.
You can taste the small chunks of turnip when you are eating.
A lil greasy, but I love the taste.



Spring rolls @ 20 HKD
(賽螃蟹春卷)

A fan of spring rolls and this is good.
Crispy on the skin and the inside is filled with the ingredients
which I am not very sure if they are a combination
of crab meat and egg white or only egg white
I can be pretty clueless at times. O.O

But, after searching online, seems that they are egg white
spring rolls. Still, I am not so sure. XD




Glutinous rice dumpling @ 26 HKD

(古法糯米雞)

Not my fav although I saw many people ordering it.
Generous amount of ingredients in the rice dumpling, 
with chunks of chicken, mushroom and Chinese sausage (if not mistaken).
Taste fine...and a crazy me would eat it with tons of chili sauce
if I were not in HK. XD (just joking, should try the authentic taste)

And also, the portion is huge. You can't finish it alone. ^^




The bill of my second brunch.

Well, a warm and affordable meal on a cold morning makes me happy. Surprisingly, it was not that expensive. Our second visit cost us $ 167 for 2 person, plus the tea. The first visit cost us less,it was $125 as we had breakfast before heading to Tim Ho Wan. I enjoyed both of my meals there and it is a must for travellers who would like to taste something affordable, yet delicious.


More info:
添好運Tim Ho Wan (Sham Shui Po)

Address:
9-11 Fuk Wing Street, Sham Shui Po ( around 10minutes' walk from Sham Shui Po MTR)

Business Hours: 8.00 am - 9.30pm (Daily)

For more info on the location and other branches, Open Rice is a useful site to be referred to.
Click the link below to explore: (The map is in the link)

Open Rice - Tim Ho Wan

Comments