Daorae (Korean BBQ Restaurant) @ Icon City, BM

We were excited when we got to know that Daorae is opening an outlet in Icon City. So, we decided to check out the food on a Friday, during Chinese New Year.



The dining area.
My friend and I went earlier, at around
11 am to book a table for our lunch.

Luckily we did, because the place was packed
with dinners when we arrived later at 1 pm.


The side dishes:
The radish kimchi and napa cabbage kimchi 
are good. They gave us tofu later too.



The menu of Daorae

On top of the menu, it stated that a minimum of two serving is needed for Korean BBQ.

Besides, for other selections, such as rice set or Korean side order, the minimum order is 1 dish per person. This means that if you have 3 person in a group, you are required to order 3 items listed in the menu. I am not so sure for the hotpot and soup set which comes with large portion. The waiter will help you with that.



Dderk-bokgi (Korean spicy rice cake) @ RM 33

There are fish cakes, cabbage and egg in this dish.
Can't recall if they have chives in it.

The spicy rice cake tastes fine and I believe 
that gochujang (chilli paste) did wonders in Korean 
dishes for the amazing flavour. 



Nakje Bokkum (Spicy Octopus) @ RM 42.00

This dish is prepared by stir frying small octopus with
vegetables (cabbage and chives) in spicy chilli sauce.

The sauce tastes more or less like Korean spicy
rice cake. I notice that there were more cabbage
than octopus in this dish.



Hambang Dweji Wang Galbi @ RM 42
(Marinated herbs pork ribs)

This is filleted pork ribs marinated in special
Korean ginseng, herb extracts and sweet
soy sauce (according to the menu).



The meat tastes good with the unique taste of
the herbs. I kinda like the aroma and
the flavours which is mild, yet not too strong.
The meat tastes good with the sauce provided.

However, the downside of the dish is 
that it was a lil burnt.





Yang-nyum dak-galbi 
(Seasoned chicken) @ RM 33

According to the menu, it is lean skinless chicken
fillets marinated in Daorae's special soy sauce.

The chicken is tender and sweet due to the
ingredients used to marinate it.
My friends prefer this instead of the herbs ribs.




Dolsot bibim bab @ RM 24

I love bibimbab and it is my fav.
I enjoy looking at the rice before we mix the
side dishes together.

Well, the bibimbab is decent. It tastes fine, but
there was still something missing in my 
tastes buds. O.o

Also, they should provide us with more gochujang
as I notice that it was not enough after I have mixed
the rice and the dishes because you can see that
the gochujang given failed to give the rice
the spicy red colour.



Set lunch is available in Daorae as well.



The lollipop given by the cashier after our
meal. They do serve watermelons as well.

I still have the lollipop in my fridge.
Fan of hello kitty would rejoice. 



The entrance of Daorae.
They have pretty decorations in the
restaurant, but not in the dining rooms.


The food is ok, however, we experienced a rather unpleasant dining experience. The waiters or workers (Bangladeshi or Nepalese) perhaps kept on pestering us to order while we were waiting for our friends for about 30 minutes. One of them was rather unfriendly, even though he smiled later while preparing our bbq and explained the reason to us. My friends were unable to reach on time due to heavy traffic and lack of parking spaces in Icon City. However, those at the cashier were polite and friendly. One even ran after me and my friend with lollipops when we went out to get something from the car. XD He thought that we left the restaurant. 

Besides, they forgotten our kimchi stew even though we have reminded them 3 times. It was included in our bill and we asked for a new bill after we have checked it. Phew...so, it is crucial to check your bills before paying. The tea given tastes fine and the second, as well as following refill tastes like water O.O The outlet is still new and customer service should be improved to help them handle a busy day.

Well, I will only patronise this place once in a blue moon when we have gatherings. Service charge is included in the bill, fyi.

p/s: I went there 2 weeks ago and I was surprised that the waiters were friendly. Yup. I met the one who was rather unfriendly during my last visit and he was smiling happily this time.
Shows that they did improve and I am impressed :D

More info:
Address: Icon City, Jalan Icon City, Bukit Mertajam, Penang.
(located at the same row as Icon City's Starbucks)


Telephone number: 04-505 9760

Business hours:
Lunch : 11:30 am - 3:00 pm
Dinner: 5:30 pm -11;00 pm

Comments