Food Court @ Padang Brown,off Dato' Keramat Road

The food court of  Padang Brown, Penang has been around since a long time ago. I heard that my father used to frequent there with my great grandmother last time, perhaps around the 1960's. Anyway, I've been there tons of time, since I was in primary school and the food court is famous for its food, such as pasembur and popiah.

Pasembur is known as 'Che Hu' in Hokkien (green fish). It is a mixture of crispy prawn fritters with shreds of sweet turnip and sprinkles of jellyfish. It is served with thick gravy and can be known as another version of the local salad. (Besides the famous rojak.)



Padang Brown's Famous Pasembur at the Chinese Food Court


The crab meat Popiah is a must at the food court as well. I usually order the 'normal' popiah (without crab meat). It costs RM 1.50 per roll. The popiah is best taken once it is served. Once the popiah skin soaked up too much of the soup, it will turn soggy instead. I used to like the popiah at Padang Brown, however, when I tasted it a few weeks back during the Raya break, it seems a lil different. Not as tasty as it used to be...hmm....
Well...I miss my grandma's popiah suddenly though =.=


 The popiah of Pandang Brown


Besides ordering coconut juice all the time, I ordered ice-kacang instead.(known as A.B.C in some other states). It is served with an ice-cream on top. Not bad. There are a generous amount of ingredients(red beans, corns and my fav nypa seeds (atap chee). Unlike some ice-kacang I've tried before with lots of ice and coloured syrup.


ice-kacang @ Padang Brown


If you were to go to Padang Brown's chinese food court, the yong tou fu is worth a try, as well as the peanut pancake (ban zhang kuih).

The food court is close on Thursday and if you wanna sample the food from most of the stalls and avoid the crowd. Go there on weekdays or before 3pm for weekends.

Comments