Bon Odori 2013 @ Esplanate, Penang

I had to miss the Bon Odori Celebration when I during my high school days as I need to prepare for my piano practical examination. Thus, I couldn’t join my friends for the orchestra performance event and it was kinda sad. But, at last, on a sunny Saturday, I attended the Penang annual Bon Odori with my buddies and it was indeed a great experience. ^^

Well,according to what I’ve read on line, Bon Odori means the dance performed during the Obon to honour the homecoming of the ancestral spirit. It is more or less similar to the Hungry Ghost festival observe by the Chinese in Malaysia. Maybe the term, Ullambana orδΊŽθ˜­η›†ζœƒ in Mandarin does ring a bell?



It was still early as I arrived at 5:30pm.
There was a large crowd at around 8pm =O



Japanese themed food stalls. ^^



My coupons for Bon Odori.
RM 20.00 per coupon booklet for you to purchase the food,
souvenirs and to participate in the games.

Each perchance entitles you to join the lucky draw. XP



The food can be a bit pricey and not as tasty as it seems. Though, I do have to admit that they look good in the photos. However, the experience is worth a thousand pennies and you just can’t measure it with the food or price. 



Takoyaki @ RM 8.00

Made me miss the one available in Queenbay’s Jusco




Taiyaki @ RM3.00 I guess (can't remember)

It would be yummy if they were to serve it steaming hot.



Fried mushrooms @ RM 8.00 for small portion
(if not mistaken)

Taste good, but my throat went dry as I ordered the
spicy one. Crispy but can be oily 



One of the stall selling unique bananas.
They were colourful and adorable, but
I didn’t buy it 





The performances:
There were dances, percussion, samisen etc
And it seems that some were repeated.
So, you won’t be able to miss any of the
unique Japanese performance even though you were to arrive late 



The stage during the night.
I just love the ambiance and the lanterns.
Splendid!



The fireworks display started roughly at 10pm after the dance.
It was beyond words.

I really love the experience of sitting on the grass
and gazing the night sky which was brightly lit
by the fireworks.
Some of it looked like fallen stars.
Sugoi~  (^,^)-b


Bon Odori is a happening event and you could see women and girls wearing yukata; food stalls selling local and Japanese delicacies, game stalls like those you’ve seen in animes, as well as a gigantic stage for you to enjoy the traditional dances and performance.

It was amazing as you could experience the celebration outside Japan, which was cool.

Hmm...maybe I will attend it again next year, wearing a yukata of course. 

Comments