Okaru (おかる) @ Nara, Japan

It is a must for us to indulge in authentic Okonomiyaki during our trip to Kansai and we managed to try some while visiting Nara.




It was lunch time when we arrived Nara and had to find something yummy and unique to fill our grumbling stomach before exploring the place. While walking along the Higashimuki Shopping Street Arcade, we stumbled upon Okaru and from the menu and food samples displayed outside, we were delighted to know that they do serve okonomiyaki!

Without further ado, we ‘charged’ into the restaurant after a brief discussion while checking out the food samples for display as usual. 



We had an unforgettable dining experience as we sat on the  floor to have our lunch. Actually, they have tables as well, but, no luck, they were occupied during that time. The restaurant is pretty small and there are limited space. Thus, my legs were cramped as I am not used to sitting cross-legged for a long time.

For your information, they provide English menu with description of the food, plus the ingredients.


 

Puchi-Setto @ ¥700 
 (3 mini okonomiyaki-pork, shrimp and squid)

We were spoiled of choices when we got the menu.
There are a variety of okonomiyaki to choose from
and in the end, we decided to order this to taste
3 of them. 



The dining experience is unforgettable as the okonomiyaki is cooked
on the metal plate which can be found on every table.

Katsuobushi (fish flakes) can be found on the table as well  
and you are free to sprinkle them on your own later.



Akashiyaki (明石焼き) @ ¥550

Akashiyaki can be known as Tamagoyaki at some places.
You are required to dip your tamagoyaki
 into dashi (a thin fish broth) before eating.

The egg is soft and fluffy, which makes it unforgettable.
You need to be extra careful while dipping as
it will break and fall into the dashi.
'SPLASH!' It happened to me >.<

I really love how it taste and the best thing is, 
it has octopus (tako) in it. Yum!


 

Omusoba  (オムそば)@ ¥900

Besides the omelette rice (omuraisu),we got to try
the omelette soba for lunch.
It tastes good with the seasoning and I love it.

Gonna hunt for it here.



Green tea shaved ice on a hot day.
I can’t remember how much it costs since
I went to Japan last year.
It was less than ¥500 I supposed.
I needed this before being melted again under the sun.



The sign at the entrance. You won't miss it.



 The busy Higashimuki shopping arcade or
can be known as shopping street.
Good place for food and souvenirs,
be it rain or shine. 



I would love to dine in Okaru again if I had the change to visit Nara. I really miss the place, which is a heaven of deer.


More information:

Address: 13 Higashimuki-Minamimachi (inside Higashimuki Shopping Street arcade)

Business hours: 11 am- 9pm, from Thursday to Tuesday. They will open on Wednesday if it is a holiday. (That’s what I stumbled upon online, please correct me if I made a mistake)

Telephone number:  +81 0742 24-3686 (found it online as well)

Comments

  1. I really miss that.....despite the hot weather and extremely small sitting place. Or are we too tall * hihi

    ReplyDelete
  2. epic meal time

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Anonymous: It was indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Angie: Me too. We had a great time. I miss the deer the most! haha :D

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment